The Jewish Board Milieu Counselor in New York, New York
The Geller House is a short-term residential center for at-risk adolescents ages 11-16 years old who are struggling with family related issues, including; long-term abuse, neglect, substance abuse and mental illness, and have been referred to the program primarily through ACS and the Family Court system. The Geller House provides rapid intervention, assessments, psychotherapeutic treatment services, education, social and recreational activities, and aftercare planning services; and our small, professional team of staff are dedicated to maximizing the productivity and progress of every youth.
The Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports Initiative is a model designed and used at Geller House to recognize and reward positive effort, excellent attitude, character, and achievement, teaching our youth the meaning and value of behavior that is Positive, Respectful, Important, and Dedicated to Excellence (P.R.I.D.E). By working with our staff, th e youth are able not only receive counseling services and education with intensive, individualized lesson plans; they are also able to develop the socialization skills to interact with their peers and have fun!
The Milieu Counselor at Geller works directly with the adolescents in residence, assisting them to meet their treatment plans, and ensuring that their independent living skills are implemented daily. Acting as a positive role model and providing therapeutic parenting, the Milieu Counselor is charged with the fundamental responsibility of the client’s health and safety. This is a full time, unionized role, providing direct support in Staten Island.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
* Responsible for day-to-day care of the children in the program, including assisting them to maintain their personal hygiene, social guidance, use of leisure time, a nd food planning and preparation
* Developing, supervising and running activity sessions, including accompanying youth on trips/outings; ensuring their safety at all times
* Working one-on-one with a client who is displaying significant stress; assisting with management issues as they relate to clients
* Driving/escorting the youth to and from medical, social or other necessary appointments
* May be required to cook/prepare meals for residents within their cottage or residential home
* Other duties as assigned
* A High School diploma or GED equivalent is required
* A current, valid clean Driver’s license is required for this position and throughout all Milieu Counselor positions
* Prior experience in a residential setting, with a similar population
* Required to attend training pertaining to performing therapeutic hold technique ( TCI), CPR, and AMAP